Human Rights Commission of the Maldives (HRCM) states the Housing Ministry has assured that the final list of recipients of flats under the former administration’s ‘Gedhoruveriya’ scheme will not be revoked.
HRCM, in a statement on Sunday, said the commission has received various complaints claiming infringement of the rights of people over ‘Gedhoruveriya’ housing scheme. As per the statement, the commission is reviewing the case in the light of human rights, with respect to the way events have unfolded in the project.
HRCM said they have met with the individuals who lodged complaints, officials from the Housing Ministry and the Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC), which is reviewing the case.
The commission added that the Housing Ministry, in all meetings held, had assured that the list of flat recipients would not be revoked and reannounced. Furthermore, the commission said the Housing Ministry has informed them they have sought counsel from the Attorney General’s Office (AG Office) as ACC has issued instructions to the Ministry in moving forward.
HRCM also noted that they have requested documents required to clarify further information concerning the case, while they plan to hold additional meetings as well.
The commission stressed that they are working to conclude the case at the earliest as it involves the interests of many people, adding that the investigative report will be shared with the complainants once the case is complete.
The publication of the list of the recipients of 4,000 flats developed by Fahi Dhiri Ulhun Corporation (FDC) in Hulhumale’ triggered protests from the public over the point allocation. A total of 325 complaints were submitted to ACC over the list, following which they launched a criminal investigation into the matter.
ACC had previously ordered the suspension of issuance of flats, but lifted the suspension on February 1, instructing the Housing Ministry to abide by certain rules while issuing the flats.
Housing Ministry, in a statement on Saturday, said ACC, following their investigation, sent a list of forms to the Ministry on Thursday, which have identifies eligible applicants with no further issues in their applications.
As per the statement, the list of forms has been formulated based on information obtained for investigation purposes. Therewith, the Ministry said they are working to declare the list of applicants eligible to receive flats under the ‘Gedhoruveriya’ scheme.
This had sparked concern from the public, fearing that the new administration would revoke the existing list of flat recipients.
Although ACC has greenlighted the issuance of the flats, in an earlier press briefing, they said 59.6 percent of the people who were listed as recipients of flats are ineligible to receive flats under 'Gedhoruveriya' scheme.