COVID-19: 85 new infections, 193 recoveries

Health professionals engage in a COVID-19 preparedness drill in Maldives on March 25, 2020. (File Photo/Sun/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Tuesday, announced 85 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 9,328.

According to HPA, the 85 new cases include 46 locals and 39 foreigners.

82 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining three were identified from the atolls.

Meanwhile, 193 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24-hours, increasing total recoveries to 7,729.

The new developments mean Maldives now has 1,560 active cases.

There are 767 patients in isolation facilities and 111 in hospitals.

132,880 samples, including repeated samples, have been taken by health authorities to conduct coronavirus tests.

With the 85 new infections this Tuesday, 587 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

September 15: 85 cases

September 14: 70 cases

September 13: 121 cases

September 12: 62 cases

September 11: 90 cases

September 10: 66 cases

September 9: 93 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

5,901 people – making for 63 percent of the 9,328 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 37 percent are foreign nationals.

33 coronavirus patients have died from complications.